16 Italian Meatballs (get the recipe here)
1 32 oz jar of Whole30-compliant marinara sauce (or make your own - recipe below)
1 large Spaghetti Squash
Melted Ghee, or extra virgin olive oil
Salt + Pepper
If you want to make your own marinara-
3 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (I prefer Muir Glen Organic)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (I prefer Muir Glen Organic)
3 TBS minced fresh basil
Instructions for making your own sauce:
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (but not browned), about 2 minutes. Add in the crushed and diced tomatoes (along with their juices). Bring sauce to a simmer and cook until heated through and slightly thickened, 15-20 minutes.
2. Stir in the minced basil and season with salt to taste.
Instructions for making the spaghetti squash "noodles":
1. Cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise with a sharp knife. Remove and discard seeds.
2. Brush melted ghee/oil on cut surface of squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Put squash facedown in a microwave safe container with a lid (I like using Pyrex). Microwave for 8-12 minutes, checking on the squash periodically to see if it is done. When the flesh is soft and easily pierced with a fork, it is done cooking.
4. Let the squash rest for 10 minutes, then shred with a fork to make "noodles".
To put it all together:
Plate the spaghetti squash, meatballs and sauce together, stir to coat meatballs and noodles in sauce and enjoy!